2018 NNOA Symposium
Thank you for participating this year. We will see you next year. If you were unable to attend, please enjoy our recap.
August 8, 2018, we welcomed over 250 attendees to the 46th Annual NNOA Symposium.
Attendees participated in Life skills sessions, JO Networking, Mid-Grade Officers Seminar, Career Counseling and Speed Mentoring
Local middle and high school students toured the USCG Portsmouth Base and learned more about STEM opportunities in the military.
An elite group of senior officers attended and participated as speakers throughout our 2-day symposium.
Welcoming the 2018-2020 NNOA President
RADM Sinclair Harris, USN (Ret.)
I am honored to serve as the 2018-2020 NNOA President. I will: 1. Represent and serve NNOA to the best of my abilities. 2. Reach out to leadership in the Sea Services, MARAD, NOAA and PHS to seek new ways to improve NNOA’s relationship and relevance. 3. Work with like-minded organizations (e.g., Fraternities, Sororities, Navy League, Marine Corps League, ANSO, SSLA, etc.) to improve diversity in the Sea Services, MARAD, NOAA and PHS. Going forward, I will focus on: – Chapter Engagement – Membership Growth – Symposium 2019 – Complete Strategic Review
Symposium Photos 2018
Opening Joint Sessions
We welcomed the CNO Admiral John M. Richardson to kickoff the 46th Annual NNOA Symposium.
Key Speakers / Attendees
Senior leaders from the Navy, Marines, Coast Guard and SES attended the 2018 NNOA Symposium.
More photos uploaded daily!!
JO/SO Networking & Mid Grade Officers Seminar
Junior and Senior officers networked in a relaxing environment while mid-grade officers attended the 2018 National Defense Strategy (NDS) Seminar led by Dr. Mary Bell, war college professor!
JO's participated in speed mentoring sessions to gather valuable career information and connect with Senior Officers.
Junior Officers met with Senior Officers for one-on-one career counseling sessions and discussed advancement strategies.
Middle and high school students were treated to an exciting tour of the USCG Portsmouth Base!
We are driven to make a difference in the careers and lives of our sea service professionals. Each year we, along with enthusiastic volunteers, work tirelessly to provide a comprehensive symposium filled with seminars, networking events, planning sessions and mentoring. After 46 years, we have countless success stories of young junior officers who were inspired by leaders at previous annual symposiums.
View More Photos
Election Results & Awards
- Dorie Miller Award – LCDR Desmond Walker, U.S. Navy – Washington, DC
- Golden Pen – Captain Damali Brimm, U.S. Marine Corps – Camp Pendleton/Miramar
- Outstanding Chapter President – LtCol Michael Armstead, U.S. Marine Corps – Camp Lejeune/Cherry Point
- LT General Frank Petersen Service Award – Captain Marie Banks, U.S. Marine Corps – Okinawa
- Marie Banks – Captain, USMC – Okinawa
- Zerbin Singleton – Captain, USMC – Camp Pendleton – Miramar
- Paul Nix – LCDR (Ret), USN -Jacksonville, FL
- Sandy Pollard – CAPT (Ret), USN – Tidewater
- Lee Stenson – LCDR, USCG – Tidewater
- Sara Daniels-Jacobs – LT, USCG – Tidewater
- Nakeshia Carter – LT, USN – Tidewater
- Patricia Gill – LCDR (Ret), USN – Jacksonville, FL
- Herlena Washington – LCDR (Ret), USN – Jacksonville, FL
- Outstanding Chapter Newsletter – Washington, D.C
- Outstanding Chapter Programs – Washington, D.C.
- Overall Outstanding Chapter (by category)
- Small: Camp Lejeune / Cherry Point, NC
- Medium: Camp Pendleton / Miramar
- Large: Washington, D.C.
- Outstanding Chapter Membership Growth (by category)
- Small: Camp Lejeune/Cherry Point
- Medium: Quantico
- Large: Annapolis
- LCDR Stacey O’Neal – At Large – ERVP – Distinguished Support – NNOA Symposium Planning – 2018
- CDR Carlton McClain – Tidewater – Distinguished Support – NNOA Symposium Planning – 2018
- LCDR Lee Stenson – Tidewater – Distinguished Support – NNOA Symposium Planning – 2018