Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM)
Want your organization or event added to the NNOA website?
Contact CDR Ernie Taylor, USN (Ret.) at email@example.com
- STEM Mission and Vision
- Why Focus on STEM?
- STEM ORGANIZATIONS
- FREE Virtual Field Trips
- STEM Scholarships
The National Naval Officers Association (NNOA) is pleased to announce the Science, Technology, Engineering and Math (STEM) Outreach initiative to promote awareness of these specialties within the sea services to students, educators, and the public. In an era of decreased college enrollment in STEM related programs and an increasing global demand for a STEM competent workforce, it is NNOA’s belief that a strategically executed community outreach plan that includes ongoing mentorship, scholarship assistance, and tailored activities will generate and sustain interest in STEM curriculum and sea service careers. Mission– The STEM Outreach Initiative was created by the National Naval Officers Association in 2015 to unify the voice of the organization in its community engagement efforts and its promotion of sea service careers by providing collaborative opportunities for invested organizations. Vision-To leverage the collective expertise of the NNOA active duty, retired, and reserve membership along with STEM focused organizations to raise awareness and increase the applicant pool of eligible STEM and sea service candidates. It is our hope than events like the STEM Outreach Day during the NNOA National Conference will stimulate conversation, facilitate mentorship opportunities, and serve as a gateway to increase naval scholarship submissions, and career planning that includes military service.
In assessing the needs of the sea services and the country at large, I have focused my efforts on the replacement workforce challenges facing our country. As you well know, huge gaps are occurring in several career fields as baby boomers continue to transition out of the workforce, especially in the Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, Math (STEAM) related areas. NNOA is working to identify established organizations willing to partner with NNOA to address this growing need.
If you are actively involved in a STEM and/or STEAM project on behalf of NNOA or a potential partner organization, please forward that organization’s information to your local chapter president for consolidation by the regional vice presidents.
- Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) Scholars Program High School, undergraduate, graduate http://afrlscholars.usra.edu/
- Amazon https://www.amazon.jobs/
- Army Educational Outreach Program http://www.usaeop.com
- AUVSI Career Center http://www.auvsi.org/auvsiresources/careercenter
- Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) http://www.darpa.mil/work-with-us/employment-at-darpa
- Infraguard Cybercamp https://www.ncinfragard.com/cyber-camp-6/
- Insitu http://insitu.com/about/careers
- MATE (Marine Advanced Technology Education) https://www.marinetech.org/internships/
- MathWorks http://www.mathworks.com/company/jobs/opportunities/
- Monterey Bay Aquarium Internship Opportunities http://www.montereybayaquarium.org/about/internships
- National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) Special Programs Undergraduate, graduate, recent graduate http://careercenter.sae.org/home/index.cfm?site_id=8479
- Naval Research Enterprise Internship Program (NREIP) Undergrad & graduate students at 4 year institutions are eligible. https://nreip.asee.org
- Northrop Grumman http://www.northropgrumman.com/careers/Pages/default.aspx
- SAE International http://careercenter.sae.org/home/index.cfm?site_id=8479
- Science & Engineering Apprenticeship Program (SEAP) High School Students https://seap.asee.org
- SolidWorks http://www.solidworks.com/sw/solidworks-jobs.htm SpaceX http://www.spacex.com/careers
- Student Educational Employment Program (SEEP) – Now PATHWAYS Interns, Recent Graduates, and Presidential Management Fellows https://www.usajobs.gov/StudentsandGrads
- US Naval Academy STEM Camp www.usna.edu/Admissions/Programs/STEM
- National Black Data Processing Associates (BDPA) www.bdpa.org
- Women of Color STEM Conference intouch.ccgmag.com/?page=woc_Conference2
- National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) www.nsbe.org/home.aspx
- Best Buy Foundation https://corporate.bestbuy.com/community-grants-page/
- Siemens Discovery Education http://www.discoveryeducation.com//parents/index.cfm?campaign=footer_parent
- Black Girls Code: http://www.blackgirlscode.com/
The National Museum of Natural History at http://naturalhistory.si.edu/VT3/
A personal tour through the solar system by three of today’s leading astrophysicists. http://www.solarsystemscope.com
Birch Aquarium at Scripps Institute of Oceanography, San Diego http://aquarium.ucsd.edu/Plan_a_Visit/virtual_tour/
Constitution Day at the National Constitution Center in Philadelphia, PA with Judge Majorie O.Rendell
National Black Data Processing Associated (BDPA)
Weekly webinars from the Committee for Children.
ONE STUDENT RECEIVED THE $500 SCHOLARSHIP