Position Summary/Purpose of Position:
Under general supervision, the Development Associate assists in planning, organizing, and implementing development campaigns.
Prepare letters of Intent and funding reports; research potential funding sources; manage and maintain the fundraising database; prepare donor reports and process all gift acknowledgments. Serve as a member of the development and communications team and contribute to the fulfillment of department goals.
The Development Associate will:
- Maintain and update a database of donors and fundraising activities. Prepare various donor status and activity reports. Compile and summarizes information on potential funding sources to be used in developing fundraising goals.
- Assist in preparing and distributing fundraising or special events brochures, posters, letters, and other literature. Write letters of acknowledgement to express appreciation for donations received.
- Participate in creating mail and email donor solicitations. Follow-up on gift pledges. Coordinate gift processing requirements and procedures.
- Researches potential major gifts, foundations and government grants
- Enters all gifts into database, makes corrections and additions to database records
- Prepares all gift acknowledgments including individual, corporate and grant funder gifts
- Assists in preparation of mailings for various special events and activities.
- General knowledge of solicitation and fundraising techniques and procedures.
- Skill in the use of Razors Edge.
- General knowledge of and ability to use word processing, database, and spreadsheet software.
- Ability to communicate effectively.
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize assignments.
- Ability to gather and summarize information using a variety of sources.
- Ability to handle confidential matters.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to work in a diverse workplace with diverse colleagues and clients.
Attributes for Success:
The Navy League wants its employees to succeed, so we look for candidates who demonstrate the following values:
- People-First. To each other, our members, partners, and vendors, we are respectful, responsive, flexible, timely, dependable and accountable so that our work together is efficient, effective and creates maximum impact on the lives of people and issues we touch.
- Motivated. We don’t just take what’s given to us and implement. We are curious, informed and continually pursue growth and learning about the world around us.
- Impactful. Success is in the details, the amount of trust we foster and consistency in delivering creative, quality-driven programs.
- Truthful. Integrity, accountability and transparency define our reputation. Since truthfulness is the basis of lasting relationships, we value learning from our mistakes because it makes us better practitioners working in a healthy team environment.
- Friendly + Fun. We value each other’s time, talents, personalities, unique contributions and life beyond work, which is why we look for ways to lend a hand, share a laugh and/or applaud one another’s achievements.
Required Education and Experience
- B.A. degree or equivalent experience required.
- Between 1 to 3 years of relevant, full-time professional work experience required which may have involved membership campaigns, special events, grants and major gifts.
- Experience using fundraising software (Razor’s Edge and other Blackbaud products)
- Knowledge of MS Office software (e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
Please send cover letter with salary requirements and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.